Skip to main content

Hi friends,

We have a single-layer schedule with six people, where each person is on duty for the entire 168-hour week (Monday 10 am to the following Monday 10 am).

We would like to add a layer containing a single person who takes weekday (7 am to 4 pm, Monday-Friday) shifts once every seven weeks. So every seven weeks, the regular on-callers would have their weekdays overridden by the new layer.

I know how to add a new layer with a single person; I know how to add time-of-day and day-of-week restrictions such that the single person on the new layer is scheduled for the required shift; I cannot grasp how to have that single person only activated every 7 weeks.

I have tried adding our “Service Account” (i.e. “Nobody”) user to the new layer, but that results in the single person and “Service Account” alternating weeks.

What I’m looking for is that a single person gets a week of weekday shifts every seven weeks, and the new layer is empty the other six weeks.

Hello @andrew rich!

This is a tricky one. The easiest way to implement this scenario is by creating overrides. Our current mechanism for defining schedules is not flexible enough to support the pattern you mention. The team is aware and working to improve this.

Now, to schedule overrides you can do it manually but it might be a lot of work if this is something that you need to do for a long period of time, multiple people or even multiple schedules. If this is the case, I would recommend that you try to automate it whether by using our REST APIs.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Thanks!

Thank you, @tiago barbosa, I was just starting to think about whether this could be accomplished via the API. I appreciate you bringing up the request for additional flexibility to the developer team.