Skip to main content

I have a rotation I’m scheduling for with two employees that work different hours.

Employee 1 works 8a - 5p M-F

Employee 2 works 3a - 12p M-F

I’d like to rotate between the two employees on a weekly basis.

I’m basically trying to do follow the sun, but with alternating weeks. When no one is available from this level, it will go to the regular on call rotation schedule that already exists.

Is this possible? I’ve poked around the documentation a ton and the only way I’ve been able to accomplish this is with manual overrides.

If I understand correctly Employee 1 (Employee 2) always works 8am-5pm (3am-12pm) M-F, but you only want them on schedule as a responder every other week ?

This is possible, using a schedule for each shift, each schedule rotating between the real responder and a virtual ‘nobody’ user (that has no Contact Information / Notification Rules defined) on a weekly basis, with day-of-week and time-of-day restrictions on the schedules.

Key points

• ‘nobody’ user is used to achieve one week on, one week off duties

• Order of users in each schedule is intentional, so Employee 1 and Employee 2, together, provide weekly coverage

• The Escalation Policy (level) notifies everyone scheduled across both morning & day schedules, which in a given week will be either Employee 1 or Employee 2