Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

We’re going to setup the integration between some of our technical services in pagerduty and SN.

Can the mapping between the technical service be done with any configuration item in the cmdb or does it have to be with the business service (like shown in SN).

Thanks,

Hi Elke,

We use the ServiceNow plugin to sync PagerDuty and ServiceNow incident. We are able to map a PagerDuty service (ie: a technical service) with many kinds of Configuration Item in ServiceNow.

We use at least 3 types of configuration items.

So I’m pretty sure you can do it with any Configuration Item.

Regards,

Sébastien

Thank you Sébastien. Do you know if we could prevent servicenow from creating incidents in pagerduty? We’re fine with synchronisation but we don’t want to let servicenow actually create incidents

Hi Elke,

Not sure to understand what you want to achieve.

As you mentioned Service/CI mapping, I assume you set the plugin to use both Groups and CI mappings.

We’re fine with synchronisation but we don’t want to let servicenow actually create incidents

I understand you installed the plugin and set the settings. But you don’t want to enable incidents synchronization for the moment.

If you don’t set any mapping (no group mapping, no CI mapping) so incident sync won’t be triggered.

At the moment the creation of incidents works both ways. Pagerduty incidents are created in ServiceNow and vice versa. What we want to do is to de-activate the way from ServiceNow to Pagerduty because it messes things up in the technical services in Pagerduty.

What I also would like to know is if we can link multiple technical services to the same configuration item in ServiceNow. The level of detail is not the same in the 2 systems (more detailed in pagerduty).

Note: I’m not a PagerDuty support team member, so I will try to give you my thougts, but you may open a case if you want an “official” answer.

link multiple technical services to the same configuration item in ServiceNow

AFAIK: No.

When PagerDuty will send an incident to ServiceNow, how ServiceNow knows which CI to use if you mapped the service ID to many CI?

The level of detail is not the same in the 2 systems (more detailed in pagerduty).

As I said, you can map a service to any type of CI.

So what I said to our support teams: select the CI which fits your PagerDuty service (ie: the same scope)

In my company, ServiceNow CI may be: an application, a part of an application (called “a module”), or an “application instance” (which is a tuple: application or module + a type of environment like “dev”, “prod”, …)

Use your own CI types.

If they are not enough, you may create a new one. For example “Application service”. An “application service” is a child of an application, and its scope is a PagerDuty service … then it obviously good to map your PagerDuty service. 😉

we want to do is to de-activate the way from ServiceNow to Pagerduty

I think you can do it, but it should be via an ugly trick. (I don’t know how)

But you should avoid that, IMHO.

Example: if you resolved an incident from ServiceNow, you want it to be solved in PagerDuty (I hope you want)

Example: if you reassign an incident from ServiceNow, you want it to be reassign in PagerDuty and notifty the related escalation policy oncall guy (I hope you want)