Skip to main content

Hi,

I am currently facing a challenge with managing AWS events through PagerDuty. Our objective is to automatically merge multiple identical events into a single incident and suppress all subsequent notifications. Unfortunately, we have encountered difficulties with the “Content-based” option for noise reduction in the Service Settings. Although different events were merged into a single incident, they were not actually identical. We attempted to solve this issue by using Event orchestration, where we set up a process to match the desired line in the ‘event.summary’ and then suppress multiple occurrences of these events using nested rules. However, this approach did not yield the desired results.

I would like to ask if using Service Alert Grouping in combination with Event Orchestration is a normal practice, or if the Orchestration can “overwrite” the Service Alert Grouping settings.

Would you be able to guide me to identify any flaws in my thinking or documentation that could assist us in finding a solution? Lastly, I am wondering if there is a way to replicate the behaviour achieved with Event Rules > Incident creation > Create alert, but with paused notifications.

Thank you

👋 Hi Masa,

Using Service Alert Grouping together with Event Orchestration is indeed a recommended practice, as the two capabilities complement each other in incident management and automation.

You can also try content-based grouping or intelligent grouping within the new PagerDuty AIOps offering and then apply event orchestration to ensure only events you want are triggered.

On your second point, replicate the behaviour achieved with Event Rules > Incident creation > Create alert, but with paused notifications, you can definitely do this with event orchestration > pause incident notifications:

Was this helpful?

• YES 👍

• NO 👎

voters

Thank you Xenda, we did do a workaround with Event Orchestration, but not with the first idea. Unfortunately, we are currently not in the tier that gives us access to AIOps, so I cannot tell you if this helps us.