Microsoft Teams integration - missing incident subject in teams

Incident subject (title) is still missing in Teams.

There was previous topic on this issue:

Without the subject, integration is almost useless. Please fix this!

Very much agreed.

The Slack integration is great and we use it a lot. However, The Mothership is an MS shop and we get Teams for free. There’s a lot of pressure to move in that direction. Having a more feature-parity version of PD on Teams would make that move much less painful.

We really need this. Without knowing what the incident is, the Pagerduty integration is useless for us.

I mean this doesnt tell me anything at all:

I agree with this as well. Honestly, not having the buttons to Acknowledge or Resolve are a big deal too.

Having the incident title is a common feature request with this integration. For a bit of background, the Teams integration was actually built by the team over at Microsoft, which has made it more a bit more difficult for us to have this changed.

We do understand the need for this, and appreciate your feedback as we address your concerns. If there’s anything else you’d like to see in this integration, please let us know.

1 Like

Here it is on the MS Teams feature requests.

2 Likes

Incident Title and Summary are important omissions that need to be added. Is this integration something PagerDuty itself would be able to take over for faster resolution? Is there active development by Microsoft currently on this, and is there an estimated time for delivery?

It would also be good to have two-way integration and have action buttons in the cards in Teams, and have comments added when notes are added to the incident (and have notes added to the incident when comments are added in Teams to that incident’s card). On-call changes would be great to have as well.

Edit: basically make it like the Slack integration because that looks perfect.

Hi folks - Sean here from our Product Team. Thanks for flagging this issue.

A bit of background on how this current integration works: we send our standard webhooks through a Microsoft Teams Connector (that the team over at Microsoft built). The connector may not be reading the title/subject from the right spot.

I’ll reach out to the team on the Microsoft side and let you know if there’s an ETA for this fix.

3 Likes

Thanks. I started to explore using Microsoft Flow with PagerDuty to post to Teams, and that looks promising as an alternative, but having the title and summary come through on the native integration would really help.

I wanted to follow up on my exploration of using Microsoft Flow. Unfortunately, there are some limitations that make it unusable. First, is that the PagerDuty connector in Flow is at the account level, and we share an account with multiple teams. So the trigger for when an incident is created happens for any team and any service within the shared account. I found I could narrow this down using a condition for the service api key, but that is processed after the initial trigger. That wouldn’t matter, except it seems the trigger is more of a poll that runs every 5 minutes and seems in my testing to have a limitation of 25 incidents at a time. So if there are 25 incidents created across the shared account, and I have another incident or two beyond that, those would not be included in that first poll, and then would have to wait at least another 5 minutes to process. This would be fine if it’s just for reporting, but not for any kind of real-time information. Most of the time it would be fine, but if things blow up and over 100 incidents are created, some of those would flow through to teams more than 20 minutes later. This made further exploration of using Microsoft Flow for our use case a dead end.

Not sure how widely used this is, but the out of the box Teams integration is so terrible it got me hunting for alternatives and I came across this: https://sindrelindstad.com/projects/improved-pagerduty-to-microsoft-teams-integration-using-azure-functions/

I had it running as an Azure function, but I more recently ported it across and now have it running under AWS Lambda. I have tweaked the format to suit us a bit better, and have been playing with some two way options (but that is not straightforward so have parked that for now).

2 Likes

Hi Chris, could you share what you have for the function code in Lambda? I’ve tried adapting the code from the Azure function and I’m not having luck yet.

Update: I think I figured it out. Was struggling with the API Gateway test. I need to do more testing, but this is promising.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.