About Account Deletion

users
questions

(Su Su Latt) #1

I have a question about account deletion.
When trying to delete an account, some sort of Service / Escalation policy / incident
If you are tied, you could not delete them until you cancel them all.
Is there a workaround to delete something in bulk?
Delete all is difficult to manually, for example when a retiree comes out
Please let me know if there is any good way to do it.

(Thomas Roach) #2

The need to remove a user from escalation policies and schedules and have them not be assigned to any incidents is to ensure that there are no issues when that user is deleted (i.e. who is on-call, who an incident is/gets escalated to). I can see how this would be inconvenient if the user is added to a lot of different objects, so I can submit a feature request around this for you if you’d like!

(Simon Fiddaman) #3

If you’re using he API to perform the deletions, you’ll get back all the things they’re currently attached to - it would be possible to loop through those items and deal with them in a way which allows you to delete the user.

Personally, I don’t do that part automatically (I check AD for each user and see if they’ve been disabled there, then attempt to delete and post to Slack if it fails).

The main reason I don’t automatically resolve issues is removing users from schedules causes all the future schedule assignments to change which my users don’t like - plus it’s their responsibility to maintain their schedules, not mine.

Additionally, what should I do with an Incident that’s assigned to a user I’m deleting? We have a mixture of repeating/recreating Alerts (eg from Nagios, Sensu) and single Alerts like Grafana, Pingdom. Without knowing where they came from, I can’t reliably determine an immediate action I should take. Having said all that - I’m probably not removing a user who is on call now, so resolving it is probably fine most of the time.

(system) #4