Email integration - Notify after a set number of emails

I have been tasked with setting up a new service for a database lookup failure. The email comes from our CIC server. When there is a lookup failure the server will send an email every two minutes until the error clears itself, which could be a few minutes, or if the issue is manually taken care of. Is there a way to trigger a notification and incident after a predetermined amount of emails. For example ignore the first 3 emails and then send notification on the 4th. The only option or way I can think of is using email filters but depends on if the body of the email can be changed on one of the emails. Have to talk to the person who setup the email alerts to see if he can do that.
Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Vito

Hello Vito,

There is the feature, Threshold Alerting which is part of the Event Intelligence package. With this feature, alerts will only trigger an Incident after a defined number of alerts have come through. If the issue is cleared before the defined number of alerts come through, an Incident will not be triggered. I believe that is what you are looking to achieve?
Please do take a look at the linked articles above for more details.

Kind regards,

2 Likes

Chiedu that is exactly what I am looking to achieve. Just have to see if we have Event Intelligence package.
Thank you.

Found that we do have the Event Intelligence package, well I sure since I was able to find thresholds settings in Global event rules and Service event rules. After reading the information on the link provided it states that Service event rules cannot be used for email integrations at this time. It states that Global event rules can be used for email integrations. I created a Global event rule with my thresholds and routed it to my test Service I have set up. Sent email to my test Service I have set up with the criteria I set in the event rule. Threshold set to suppress 5 up to 10 minutes. On the first email I got the alerts on my phone. So I am not sure what I am doing wrong or if I am missing some config.
Any information on to get this to work would be greatly appreciated.

Vito

Hi, Vito!

That’s correct - at this time, event rules for email integrations only work with Global event rules that are routed to Services.

We’d be happy to take a closer look at your rule configuration. Will you write in to support@pagerduty.com so that we can help you with your threshold rule?

Hannah

Hannah thank you again for your assistance. I worked with Ashley Lee and I was able to get Global event with thresholds working.

Glad to hear that, Vito! :slight_smile: