[VIDEO] PagerDuty Microsoft VSTS Integration Installation and Test

(Hailey Hickman) #1

View this installation and test video to learn how to enable and test out the PageDuty Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services Integration. Code, own, and manage your application better. Accelerate service delivery, reduce delivery cycle times, and improve visibility across all of your services and Azure infrastructure.

I’m not seeing this option under extensions. When will the VSTS extension be available? This is a killer feature for us that we’ve been waiting for since we signed up.

(Jay Paige) #3

Hey Dave, thank you so much for your patience! We love the excitement! The extension is available for users. You should be able to view the extension as shown in this Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services Integration Guide. If you would not mind, please reference this guide on integrating PagerDuty with Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services and let me know if anything comes up. I am here to help. Talk to you soon!

Hi Jay,

I’m able to add PagerDuty to VSTS through the market place. However, I don’t see VSTS as an available extension within PagerDuty. I do see Service Now, Jira, Slack and a few others, but nothing with Microsoft, VSTS or Visual Studio in the name.

Dave

(Monica Hom) #5

Hi Dave,

Could you please try again? Go to Configurations > Extensions > +New Extension > you should see Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) now. Thanks!

Amazing, there it is!!! Thanks Monica!

(Jay Paige) #7

Hi Dave! Glad you found it! Please let us know if you have any questions!

(Pedro Amaral) #8

Hello!
I have the same problem, I don’t see VSTS as an available extension within PagerDuty!

(Jay Paige) #9

Hey Pedro,

Thanks so much for waiting! Sorry to hear about your experiences. Let me look into this for you and get back to you when I find something.

(Jay Paige) #10

Hey Pedro! Thanks so much for waiting! I saw that the Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services Integration is back on your account. Awesome! How is the integration working out for you? If run into any issues at all please do not hesitate to reach out to support@pagerduty.com Cheers!

(Ali Sadreddini) #11

Hi There,

I’ve managed to get my VSTS account setup (using PAT) in PD.

Basically I’m able to select my project VSTS, Account, Issue Type using the Web UI and add it to my 2 services in PD. I have selected the Automatic option for sync.

However, creating new Incidents (to test) in PD is not creating new tickets in VSTS as expected.

Also found the Action button in incident window to “create new work item” and selecting it gives me the Blue Notification at the top that it’s trying to create the Work Item. however it doesn’t give me any errors and just doesn’t create the item. My incident also doesn’t have a record of the item created (as per screenshot in the guide (https://www.pagerduty.com/docs/guides/visual-studio-team-services-integration-guide/)

And no where in the documentation does it tell / show me where the API Key is coming from so I can put it in the VSTS Settings for PagerDuty Extension.

I have also requested my PD admin to apply a new PAT for me that has “Full” Work item permissions instead of just Read and Write. Currently waiting for that update to happen and I’ll retry.

Any help would be appreciated.

(Ali Sadreddini) #12

Update. I’ve updated the PAT with permissions to have Full access to Work items.

This time it’s actually giving me the error that it wasn’t able to create work item in VSTS and try again later. No more details.

(Demitri Morgan) #13

Hi @AliSadreddini ,

In case working through these issues with you ends up requiring us to share and discuss particular information or configuration that belongs to your PagerDuty account, and which is thus inappropriate to share in the community forums (as it would be sensitive / privileged data), I am responding to the support ticket has been opened for the issues you are experiencing. For the time being, I would like to keep all communication on the issues you’re experiencing private (to keep things simpler and avoid confusion arising from spreading communication over multiple channels) until we have determined their cause and possible solutions.

If there are any universally-applicable learnings we can take from addressing the issue privately, I will share them in this community thread, with any and all sensitive data redacted.

(Prerana) #14

Hi,

How do I test pagerduty integration with MS Teams? I’ve now done the integration, but unsure whether it is working or not. How do I test?

Also, please note that I’m selecting ‘Other Product’ in the Service column since I did not find ‘Generic API Service’

52%20PM

(Danilo Gonzalez) #15

Hi Demitri,

I’m in the same team as @AliSadreddini and after doing lots of testing and tweaking the permissions in VSTS (now Azure DevOps) I can confirm the following:

• The WorkItem4.UpdateWorkItem API action is working. Tested by creating a Task/Issue/Bug in VSTS, then triggering the create PagerDuty Incident on the work item (after saving it and reloading), then acknowledge/resolve it in PagerDuty. it shows back the updates on the work item in VSTS.

• The WorkItem4.CreateWorkItem API action is for some reason not working and I can confirm the PAT has read and write access to Work Items for the VSTS project.

I confirmed that PagerDuty is making the API calls to VSTS by monitoring the VSTS Usage logs.

Can we re-open the support case #149704 when this issue was reported?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

(Demitri Morgan) #16

Hello @DaniloGonzalez ,

Can you confirm that the work item types are the out-of-box? The integration as yet only supports the out-of-box work item types. This is the reason why the PagerDuty UI (in the extension configuration) only displays a static list of types.

(Danilo Gonzalez) #17

Hi @demitri,

Yes, I can confirm we are using the out-of-the-box Work Items: Bug/Task/User Stories.

Cheers,

Dan