Override system volume Android 8.1

questions
android

(Bono de Visser) #1

Hi there,

Searched around a little on the forum and tried checking some of the docs linked to in the “About the Using PagerDuty category” thread, but couldn’t really find anything related to this. I did find and issue on Google Discussion here. But that one got closed because of being a duplicate, but the thread that’s linked to is a real mess in which I couldn’t find anything similar.

So, to the issue. When I try to use the “Override system volume” function on the PagerDuty app on my phone (OnePlus 5) which is running Android 8.1 I can’t get it to work. I have given the app permission to allow overriding system volume, but I just can’t get it to work. I do receive the notification from the app, but there’s no sound. Is anyone experiencing similar problems and do you perhaps have a fix? It’s quite annoying to have to take my phone out of “silent” mode and allow myself to get notified by all and any applications :frowning:

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is a duplicate.

(Chiedu Uraih) #2

Hello Bono,

Please can you let me know the Version of the App you have installed? Also can I have you confirm
the following and we will take it from there:

1. Is PagerDuty enabled as a priority app in your system settings?
  2. Are the incidents you are testing high urgency ones? (Note that you still won’t receive notifications for low urgency incidents with DND override enabled)
  3. Is PagerDuty enabled in your system settings to send notifications?
  4. Do you have any other apps installed which control the system sound settings in any way?

(Bono de Visser) #3

Hi Chiedu,

Please can you let me know the Version of the App you have installed?

The version is 5.20.1.

Is PagerDuty enabled as a priority app in your system settings?

Not sure, I did enable it in the apps “do not distrub” settings to enabled. Other than that I couldn’t find anything related to priority apps. Only found something for that on Huawei systems, but not OnePlus.

Are the incidents you are testing high urgency ones? (Note that you still won’t receive notifications for low urgency incidents with DND override enabled)

Yes they were :slight_smile:

Is PagerDuty enabled in your system settings to send notifications?

Yes it is :slight_smile:

Do you have any other apps installed which control the system sound settings in any way?

There are a few apps which have access (but are not turned on) to access “do not disturb mode”: Google Services Framework, Google Play-services, Google Backup Transport, Google. So please note these are not enabled.

As an interesting note I noticed the slider on the side of my phone has three settings: “loud/ringtone”, “do not disturb” and “silent”. Now I set it the previous week to “do not disturb” since I saw this come up in the settings and this actually did work. All other apps were muted, but Pagerduty came through. This of course makes sense to me now, but I think I got thrown a little off track by the “allow system volume override” which Pagerduty mentioned in the app. Is it not a “do not disturb” override? Perhaps if that text was changed it would be a little more obvious :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Bono

(Chiedu Uraih) #4

Hello Bono,

The option is Override System Volume. The options you alluded to loud/ringtone, do not disturb and silent are actually system volumes. With the option to Override that, notifications for PD will come through.

I hope that helps clarify the issue.