Incident handoff at shift change

How are people handling hand off of incidents when a shift changes?

For a simple example, let’s say team A is on call from Midnight to Noon. Team B is on call from Noon to Midnight.

An incident comes in at 11:59 AM. It gets properly assigned to team A. At noon, Team B doesn’t get notified there is an incident and it doesn’t show up in “Mine” in the app.

I see 2 options

1. set the escalation policy to repeat every 20 minutes. But then the incident would sit there for up to 19 minutes. Repeat the policy more often and annoy responders.
  2. teach the teams to check incidents in PD when coming on call. I think I can predict how that will go with other things the team need to do when coming on call.

Ideally, incidents that have not been acknowledged will follow the schedule. So in my simple example, at Noon the incident would be removed from Team A, assigned to Team B and Team B actively notified.

Not sure if this is a how to question or a feature request :slight_smile:

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

So once an Incident has been acknowledged, it stays with the responder who Acks it.

Without a knowledge of how the schedules and escalation has been set up,
an option that can be explored is to have the Incident timeout after a particular period. In this way, such an incident will notify the responder who’s just came on call.

Thanks,

Chiedu - I don’t think that will work. I am specifically talking about incidents have not been acknowledged. My understanding of the timeout is it only applies to acknowledged incidents.

Kevin

Hi @KevinLundy,

You’re right - incident acknowledgement timeout helps responder not to forget incidents that have been acknowledged already, but if the incidents haven’t been acknowledged, this feature would not come into play.

Ideally responders should be acknowledging and owning incidents when they are notified about them. If you are finding that this is not the case, your original idea of setting multiple escalation policy levels and repeating the escalation policy is a good one. If responders don’t feel that they are capable of acting on the incident, they should be responsible for delegating the incident when their shift is over. You can also set expectations for your responders to check their team’s open incidents when they first get on call.