How to Delay Alert Notification

notifications
questions
support-hours

(Christopher Corrente) #1

Hello,

I’m new to PagerDuty and had a question - is there a way to configure the escalation policy so that when an alert is triggered, it will only call/text someone during business hours? For example, we have automated jobs that run at night, but if they fail and trigger an escalation policy, we don’t need to be notified until the next business day (rather than at 2 in the morning).

Is there a way to delay the notification if it is triggered outside of a time range? E.g., if triggered 7 AM to 7 PM, notify right away, else do not notify until next day at 7 AM.

Thanks,
Chris Corrente

(Paul) #2

Hi Christopher,

We have a feature called defined support hours that allows you to change the urgency of an incident during specified time periods. Please note that this feature is available for users on our Standard or Enterprise plans.

To set this up, you can do the following:

1. Go to Configuration > Services
  2. Click the cog (:gear:️ ) icon next to the service and then click Edit
  3. Under Incident Settings click the How should responders be notified dropdown and select Use defined support hours.
  4. Set your business hours
  5. By default it should be set to Notify until someone responds during support hours and notify but do not escalate otherwise.
  6. Check the option to Raise urgency of all triggered incidents for this service to High when service support hours begin

Once you have set this up, users will be notified about incidents using the Low urgency notification rules in their profile outside of business hours, and using the High urgency notification rules during business hours.

(Christopher Corrente) #3

Thanks Paul. Just to make sure I understand this. If we set business hours to 7 AM to 7 PM:

1. Any alert generated during those hours will escalate right away and notify someone
  2. Any alert generated outside those hours will not escalate and will not notify anyone at that time; but once business hours resume, it will then alert someone?

I just want to make sure we don’t miss any alerts that get generated outside of business hours and that anything raised outside of business hours will basically just sit in a holding patter and then notify someone when business hours resume.

Thanks,
Chris Corrente

(Christopher Corrente) #4

Also, I just noted that I am on the basic plan. So there is no way to achieve this same functionality on a basic plan?

(Paul) #5

Hi Chris,

To answer your questions:

Any alert generated during those hours will escalate right away and notify someone

Yes, this is correct.

Any alert generated outside those hours will not escalate and will not notify anyone at that time; but once business hours resume, it will then alert someone?

Also correct, provided you have checked the option to Raise urgency of all triggered incidents for this service to High when service support hours begin.

This functionality is part of our Dynamic Notifications feature, which is only available for Standard and Enterprise plans. There isn’t a way to achieve this same functionality under the Basic plan.

If you are interested in upgrading your plan or would like to discuss your options, send us an email at support@pagerduty.com and we will get you in touch with a sales representative.