How I use PagerDuty to accelerate my replies to time-sentitive customer support tickets

support
integration
customer-service
tips
zendesk

(Demitri Morgan) #1

Sometimes, an ongoing ticket with a customer will require a synchronization of actions with them, whether that be calling them as soon as they’re available, or checking volatile system log entries, or in general anything else wherein action would need to be taken as soon as the customer replies. I did this with a sort of simplified integration with Zendesk HTTP webhooks. The way I do it is that when the need arises, to get a notification of the customer’s next reply as opposed to all replies:

1. I tag it with time_sensitive_replies
  2. I get paged on the next reply from the customer by a new PagerDuty incident
  3. I ack the incident in PagerDuty, which contains a link link back to the ticket I can follow
  4. I respond to the ticket, and the tag is automatically removed, and the PagerDuty incident automatically resolved so it doesn’t page me again.

To implement this workflow: First, in PagerDuty, I created a service called “Time sensitive tickets” for incidents, and added a generic v1 Events API integration. Then, I did the following in Zendesk:

1: I created a new extension and selected “HTTP Target” as the type

It should be a POST request to the generic Events API ingestion URL: https://events.pagerduty.com/generic/2010-04-15/create_event.json

2. I created a new trigger

What the trigger will do is send the event, in JSON, to the Events API target. The format of the event is as given in Send an Event · PagerDuty Developer. Here’s the template you can use, which is what I used:

{
  "service_key": "<<<YOUR INTEGRATION KEY GOES HERE>>>",
  "event_type": "trigger",
  "incident_key": "ZD#{{ticket.id}}",
  "subject": "{{ticket.title}}",
  "client": "Zendesk",
  "client_url": "https://<<YOUR-ZENDESK-SUBDOMAIN>>.zendesk.com/agent/tickets/{{ticket.id}}"
}

3: I cloned the trigger and modified the copy so that it auto-resolves the PagerDuty incident and removes the tag

(system) #2