Event API v2 and Location Field

questions
events-api
pd-cef

(Doug McClure) #1

Using the Event API v2, the docs (https://v2.developer.pagerduty.com/docs/events-api-v2) don’t mention the location field as an option although location field is called out as valid field in the PD-CEF references (https://support.pagerduty.com/docs/pd-cef#section-pagerduty-common-event-format-pd-cef).

When posting to the API, it accepts location in the payload section and the value I sent was visible in the alert details section. However, I’m not able to see the location field value in the top level alerts list when customizing the columns to display location. I think this may be a bug.

Also, is there some way to permanently set the columns to display? It seems like these are not persisting and must be re-selected anytime I move away from those screens.

Thanks!

(David Cooper) #2

Hi Doug,

We are actually in the process of deprecating the location field from our common event format. We do not recommend that users populate this field, as we will stop propagating it in the UI in the near future.

Unfortunately, persisting column selections in the alerts list is not currently supported. This is great feedback, and I will be sure to share it with our Event Management team.

Cheers,
David

(Doug McClure) #3

Thanks David! Any other planned changes to PD-CEF support? Are these planned changes posted publicly on a roadmap or similar? Could be good for a sticky thread like that in the community so those building custom integrations don’t paint themselves into a corner!

Are there any plans to allow for customizable top level fields beyond custom details? I think it’s important to allow this and be able to show those fields in alert list columns, reports, charts, etc.

Thanks again for your response!

Doug

(David Cooper) #4

Hi Doug,

There are no other PD-CEF planned changes in the immediate future. Any changes we do make we will be sure to update our knowledge base and also post in the community. Love the idea of a sticky thread. I will work to get that going.

With regards to customizable top level fields, we do not have any near term updates around this, but this feedback is very useful. I’d actually be interested in learning more about what types of fields/data you are hoping to bring in.

Cheers,
David

(Sthiven) #5

Hi David,

I was looking for these “customisable level fields” as well, as we have the option to populate/create them when using Event API v1 but it seems this is not possible with Event API v2.
e.g

Cheers,
Sthiven

(Chiedu Uraih) #6

Hi Sthiven,

Thelocation field did not make it to the V2 Events API as it was deprecated and there are
no plan to have it reintroduce.

However, you can set location as payload.custom_details.location. This way it will appear in custom details when being viewed as an alert,

I hope this helps.

(Simon Fiddaman) #7

Hi @Sthipinillsa,

I believe those pulled out details are part of specific integration types and aren’t settable from the API directly. We see them in our Nagios integration (as you illustrated above) but very few others.

Cheers,
Simon

(system) #8