Create a ticket if specific integration email in service is hit and do not call anyone out

Hello, firstly thank you and apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I spent a while trying to find the answer!
I have a service that has a working extension with Service Now and an email integration and it’s all good and works, alerts people based on schedule - all good!
I would like to add a second email integration so I can have an incident created WITHOUT calling anyone out. For example
network-alert@abc.com - would create an event, open the SN ticket, call people out, set off bells and whistles etc
network-ticket@abc.com - would create an event and open a SN ticket only, but NOT call people out.

The only way I can see to do this is to create a second service that has no call out schedule and only has the service now extension and email integration for network-ticket address.

Am I right or am I missing something?

thanks Iain

Creating an incident in PagerDuty but not notifying the on-call user is possible only when the incident is triggered as low-urgency and the on-call user has no low-urgency notification rules (as they are optional). An incident cannot be created on a service with no on-call user.

I’d love to know more about your use-case for such a feature so I can pass along your feedback to our Product team, though!

Hi Thomas, thanks for your help, this seems like it will do the trick! I’m using Google’s SRE model for monitoring and want to implement the two type of incident event, i.e “help! someone do something!” and “open a ticket and someone can look later”
I looked at what you suggest, I use email as the trigger and all my incidents seem to open as priority “–” and urgency “High” - is there a field I need to add to the incoming email from my monitoring platform (akips) to get them marked as ‘low urgency’? thanks again :slight_smile: Iain.

Hi @IainL, there are a few ways you can have your emails trigger low urgency incidents:

1. Set your service to only trigger low urgency incidents
  2. Set your service to use alert severity. Then send your emails to your global event rules email address and configure rules to parse the email, set the severity level, and then route it to the appropriate service.
  3. If you don’t want to use Global Event Rules, another idea would be to set up two services, each with an email integration that has the same email address. Set one of the services to high urgency and one to low urgency. You can then control which service should trigger the incident using email filters and management rules.

I hope that helps!

That was perfect thanks Paul!! option 2 does exactly what I need, we can now open tickets for overnight incidents we don’t want to call people about - thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.