Use API to suppress alerts during an incident

Hi Team,

What I’d like to do is to use the API to suppress alerts for a service or services while an incident is ongoing. No need to get a barrage of alert noise while all hands are already engaged in fixing the issue.

What’s the best way to do this using the API?

Please advise.

All the best,

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Our service event rules would be more appropriate to help either suppress specific alerts or help you obtain a more appropriate deduplication key which can help prevent new alerts from being created. We have more information on how deduplication works in our developer documentation. You could also see if your monitoring tools can send one static alert key which group all events from the Events API into one alert.

Alternatively, our Intelligent Alert Grouping can be trained to group open alerts together by service.

@geeth
could you provide an example how i can use the deduplication key
i want a rule for the all incidence. ?
should be an event rule into service directory and into the service?
or should be into the rulesets where are the global rules?

also so when i create a rule the dedup key into conditions should be (.*) ?

Hi Michael,

I’m not sure I understand what you are asking. Can you clarify? You can also open a support ticket directly with us by emailing us at support@pagerduty.com if you need in-depth help with managing incidents. If you provide us with details about the types of events you are receiving, and how you would like to manage them, we can come up with a tailored solution for you.

In the meantime, you can learn more about deduplicating incidents here. Please do reach out to us in Support directly via email if you need more help with this.

Cheers,