Slack Feature Request for On-Call Workflow with Multi-Team Configuration

I like the /pd oncall command, but when people from other teams want to reach the current on call for my team they don’t necessarily know which schedule to lookup. In fact my team has multiple schedules in our escalation policy that may be relevant to a particular user looking for support.

I want to create a shortcut in my teams support channel to show the current on call users for multiple schedules. The output should be similar to the oncall slash command but no user input is required, just click the shortcut and the workflow does the rest!

Is there a recommended way to do this? Can a workflow step be added to the PagerDuty Slack App to enable this feature?

2 Likes

Hello Trevor,

Thanks for sharing - happy to pass thing along to our product team to take a look at this request. As far as what we do have with Slack workflows can be found here in our guide.

Kind regards,
John

Thanks John,

To be clear the only existing Slack workflow is Create an Incident Trigger.
I am asking for a new Slack workflow: Fetch Current Oncall (for multiple services/schedules).

Hello Trevor,

Yes, understood and I passed along an FR for you, but I was just sharing what we currently have that supports work flows should you be unaware.

John

Hi PD Team,

Just wondering if this feature is planned for the near future?
I didn’t find any hook on PD that lets you report to any external system when an on call rotation is being done. Is there such thing?

I tried implementing on call rotation logger using Slack Workflows, defining a recurring task to write “/pd oncall” to our Slack channel that is dedicated to production management. Interval was default shift duration, which don’t take into account overrides, but that would still provide value.
But turns out that if you ask Slack Workflow to write /pd oncall to a channel it won’t process it as a slash command, therefore it doesn’t trigger PD bot :frowning:

This way of work helps us maintain a chronological list of all alerts on Slack for quick context,
and would help even more to see on-call person details (like /pd oncall does) on the context of that time series of events.
It would help seeing who was the on-caller that handled a range of alerts, and one can easily find the existing on-caller by looking at the latest message on the channel (assuming not everyone knows the slash command).

Hey Gil we have made https://www.pagerly.io/ just for this . You can check and we are adding further integrations too. Do check it out