Preventing Slack integration from posting in public channels?

I have the Slack (v2) integration enabled and am finding it quite helpful, especially in our private channels for on-call and incident discussion.

However, it appears that the integration can be called in any public channel in our Slack workspace and its output is visible to everyone in the channel. This is problematic in high-volume and/or customer-facing channels.

For example, if I go to a public channel (that the @pagerduty user is not in) and run /pd help I get the output preceded by “Only visible to you”. But if I run /pd oncall and select a service from the dropdown, the output is posted publicly and visible to everyone in the channel.

Is there a way to force that output to only be visible to the user who requested it (like the /pd help output is) or DM’ed to the user instead of publicly posted?

Alternately, is there a way to blacklist specific public channels so that the PagerDuty integration cannot be invoked from within them and/or cannot post in them?

Hi Drew!

Thanks for sending these questions our way! The V2 Slack Integration is configured to post notifications into the selected channel when a PagerDuty incident has been triggered, updated or resolved.

Is there a way to force that output to only be visible to the user who requested it (like the /pd help output is) or DM’ed to the user instead of publicly posted?

Unfortunately, there is not currently a way for the output to only be visible to the user who requested it in a public channel.

Alternately, is there a way to blacklist specific public channels so that the PagerDuty integration cannot be invoked from within them and/or cannot post in them?

There is not a way to prevent PagerDuty from posting in these channels.

I can see how having the ability to mute PagerDuty in some of your customer-facing Slack Channels could be helpful, so I submitted a feature request to our Product Team.

I hope this info helps!

Hannah