Mobile app completely mutes phone when phone is in Do Not Disturb mode

I have been experiencing a bug with the mobile app on my phone: something about the handling of alerts sets my phone to mute (completely silent) if it was in Do Not Disturb mode. (I have an exclusion for the PD app.) This is troubling because it can cause me to miss phone calls or text messages.

My phone is a Google Pixel 3a running Android 10; the PD app is version 5.86. I can reproduce the problem at will:

1. Set my phone to Do Not Disturb.
  2. Go to my profile on the PD website, scroll down to my mobile app contact, and click “Test”.
  3. When the notification pops up on my phone, tap on it.
  4. Wait about ten seconds: the phone will then show the Android bell-with-slash mute icon.

I’m pretty sure the bug is related to Do Not Disturb because

• if my phone isn’t in DND, it doesn’t end up muted afterwards
  • if I watch the phone carefully, the DND icon has actually disappeared when the alert comes in, and then both the mute and DND icons appear at the same time.

My guess is that the problem is related to bad handling of the DND exclusion, so that when the alert comes in, DND actually gets turned off, but then when it gets turned back on, the phone gets muted too.

android-pd-mute

Hi JD!

Thanks for reporting this! Our engineering team is aware and working towards resolving this within the mobile app.

We’ll let you know here as soon as it’s released in a mobile app update.

1 Like

Thanks, @geeth!

Hi JD, good news!

We’re sending a fix for this in our upcoming mobile app release. You should be able to update the mobile app early next week and note a difference. Do let us know if you see otherwise.

It looks like this is fixed in v5.88! Thanks very much!

1 Like