There are two main ways to access incidents in our web UI: by its incident number, and by the PagerDuty ID (an alphanumeric code that begins with
There is also a shorthand path,
/i/, that will redirect and expand to the above:
The incident number is prominently displayed and unique to incidents in a given PagerDuty account, although the ID is only displayed in the URL under certain conditions.
Let’s say one needs the incident ID and just has the incident number. Normally, if one navigates to the incident from the main incidents list, it will show up in the URL. However, if it happened some time ago, and a lot of incidents were opened since that incident, this will require skipping through pages of data. Furthermore, if navigating there using an incident number (i.e. the Go to incident # search box), the incident number will take its place in the URL within the tabs of the view page of that incident.
So, to get the incident ID without using the API, if all you know is the incident number:
- Go to the incident’s page.
- If Alerts (mergeable incidents) are enabled:
- Click on the alert
- Click on the “related incident” link from the alert page to go back to the incident (this link should use the PagerDuty ID)
- If Alerts aren’t enabled, go to the View Message link in the incident details view, to show the data received through the integration.
- The incident ID should be displayed in the URL, immediately following “/incidents/”