Escalation Policy doesn't work with round robin

Hello,
I noticed an issue in production where change in Escalation Policy doesn’t reflect in the alerts triggered. To reproduce -

1. Add 1 person as first responder and check the “Assign via round robin” box. The incident will be assigned as expected.
  2. Change the above person and click Save. The incident will continue to go to the same person as step 1.
  3. Uncheck the box and click on Save. The incident now goes to the configured person.

Please help us understand if -

• Round robin works with a single person
  • The whole incident cycle is integrated with alertmanager prometheus. Does round robin work with that.

Hello Jai,

Round Robin escalation policies are intended for usage on an escalation policy layer where there are more than 1 users. This works by assigning the first incident to the 1st user in the list, the next one to the next user in the list, the next one to the next user, and so on. It works across escalation layers not up/down. The round robin escalation policy should work with any escalation policy and is only dependent on the level of account you have (currently round robin only works with Business & Digital Operations plans).

If you’re seeing something different with your escalation policy, can you send us more information so that we can take a look at it? Email us at support@pagerduty.com.

Cheers,
Abbott
Support Team Lead - East Coast

Hello Abbott,
Thanks for the detailed response.
Yes I understand that round robin works across and not top-down. Now that you’ve mentioned that Round Robin should not break the incident routing flow even if single person is configured, I’ll mail you more details on the incident.