Creating a "business hours" schedule for a globally distributed team?

Hello!

I’ve struggled with this for the last few days , but I’ve gotten nowhere. Essentially, I’ve got a globally distributed team where on-call rotates weekly, but they’re paged only during their local business hours.

For example, here’s the availability for my engineers:

05:00 GMT - 14:00 GMT

• EU Eng 1
  • EU Eng 2

09:30 GMT - 18:30 GMT

• UK Eng 1
  • UK Eng 2

16:30 GMT - 01:30 (+1d) GMT

• US Eng 1
  • US Eng 2

I’d love to create a rotation like below but only ensure they’re paged during their availability and any incidents outside their business hours are suppressed.

ie:

• Week 1 - US Eng 2 (paged btwn 16:30 - 01:30 (+1), service incidents suppressed all other times)
  • Week 2 - UK Eng 1 (paged btwn 09:30 - 18:30, service incidents suppressed all other times)
  • Week 3 - EU Eng 1 (paged btwn 05:00 - 14:00, service incidents suppressed all other times)
  • Week 4 - EU Eng 2 (paged btwn 05:00 - 14:00, service incidents suppressed all other times)
  • Week 5 - UK Eng 2 etc.

Can you suggest a way forward?

Thanks in advance,

Have you considered one schedule for each globally distributed team with their unique working hours, and then adding each of those schedules to the appropriate escalation policy layer?

Thanks for the reply. I think I’ve tried that with the following schedule

However, it ends up with a result wherein the orange person is immediately on-call after the green one.

Ideally, orange would start their oncall after green’s oncall ends (ie: the following week) something like I mocked up quickly here:

Is this sort of setup possible?

Hello Leo,

We would need details specific to your account in order to dig deep into this. As we would not want that shared here, can you reach out to the Support team at support@pagerduty.com with a detailed explanation or document showing your desired schedule. Then we can figure out the best configuration for your desires.

Kindly,